Sunday, December 16, 2007

astral projection and lucid dreams

for a long time when i was younger (well into my early teens) i was able to astral project in my dreams pretty much all the time. I never really understood what i was doing, nor did i have a vocabulary to talk about it until years after it stopped happening, but nevertheless, my dreams would constantly start off with me "leaving my body" very vividly and obviously, hovering over myself for a few minutes, occasionally hovering around the house for a while, and then flashing into my dreamworld.

i mentioned this to a friend of mine in high school, who was pretty open to altered states of consciousness. he told me that it freaked him out. not surprisingly, fear set in and the astral projections stopped happening. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get them back.

luckily, i'm still able to dream lucidly. the dreams i remember tend to be lucid dreams, although i remember most dreams at least for a few minutes after waking up. if i don't write down the non-lucid dreams right away, they're usually lost in my morning routine.

for example, i had some pretty unreal dreams the last two nights, both of which have been largely lost to my conscious memory except for certain pieces of them. in one dream i remember being tossed about in some major waves, like tsunami waves, except i wasn't scared. in fact, i was pretty much giddy. i could breathe and see the top of the water, so that might have helped, but more than anything i loved being surrounded by such a powerful force of nature. there was a train station just above the water (thank you spirited away) and the people waiting for the train were pretty rattled by the waves. i remember helping them out of the water.

the rest might come to me later if i think hard enough about it but for now, that must have been the most important part.

No comments: